Thursday, February 26, 2009

Why I Still Love Greg Norman

Greg Norman used to be my favorite golfer. He was on the verge of superstardom when I read a few stories about him, circa 1985, and first learned what a truly nice guy he was. The rest is history.

I've always had the unfortunate power to jinx players and teams. Once I learned about Norman's incredibly polite and accomodating nature, it was all over. What put me over the top was the fact he was the first (and to date only) pro golfer to reach down for his ball in the cup without leaning on his putter, because he didn't want to leave an indentation that might effect his fellow golfers. Thus, he joined Ben Crenshaw, the Detroit Lions, the George Allen-era Los Angeles Rams, the Washington Senators and the Chicago Cubs in my pantheon of snakebitten favorites. I apologize for that. He coulda been a contender....

Greg Norman is in the news again. He's publicly called on the PGA to institute a pay cut for its players. The full story can be read here: http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=443720&publicationSubCategoryId=200

While it would have no impact on those who are suffering through these tough economic times, I think it's a beautiful, refreshing gesture. That's just what I'd expect from "The Shark."

No comments:

Post a Comment